Transfering Files Between Macs and PCs
To share data between a PC and a Mac there is some setup involved.
From the Mac side:
- Create a directory ("
macwin") that is used to transfer files.
- Set permissions for access to that directory on the Mac
- Create a sharing account ("
winxfer") that is a user login with access specifically for the transfer directory "
macwin". This is a security step. You can share data between public directories easily, but some level of safety should be used - especially over wireless transfers.
- Enable the Mac to follow the SMB protocol - a protocol used to access PCs.
From the PC side:
- Discover the Mac from the PC side.
- Find the data on the PC to be copied and then drag it to the Mac ("
Here are the details. If you have already setup the transfer directory on the Mac side (you only need to do it once) then remember to turn on file sharing on the Mac side and skip to step 5.
1. Setup the transfer directory on the Mac.
System > Preferences select the Sharing option to bring up the
Sharing dialog as shown here.
You will need to have already created a directory that you can choose.
2. Create the sharing account '
winxfer' which is nothing more than a user login. You will need to then select the sharing-account, just click on it and choose select
3. Enable the selected sharing-account with
Read & Write access.
4. Enable the SMB protocol on the selected sharing-account
At this point you have the Mac and PC ready to share. Bring them both online and you should be able to see the Mac on the PC as follows.
5. On wired Mac and PC, open a directory browser and click on the Network icon and ...
There should not be any problems here. With File Sharing enabled on the Mac (and the appropriate setup in Steps 1-4 above) the PC should see the Mac.
6. The Mac shared directory should now be visible from the PC. You have access.
Please! Do not forget to turn off file-sharing on the Mac when you are done transfering files. While there are safety protocols followed here, at least give the girl with the dragon tattoo a little bit of work before she is able to hack into your system.